Talk about what elements of being a help desk analyst first intrigued your and why you have chosen to pursue this as your career. F it’s online, be sure to have a private space where you can do the interview and have decent internet access. To become a help desk analyst, most employers will require some form of formal education, whether that’s from a university or college. The program you take as your education should be related to some form of computer science or specific to becoming a help desk analyst.
- My hope is you can feel good about kick-starting a career in IT, or get an understanding of what you need to do to keep climbing and have success.
- If you’re interested in becoming a help desk engineer, one of the first things to consider is how much education you need.
- Like a first responder in an emergency (hey, email is an emergency!) the help desk technician is tasked with triaging the issue.
- Each career also uses different skills, according to real help desk engineer resumes.
- That cross pollination of sorts can be a ladder for you as you look to move forward in your career.
Take lots of notes and do your best to gain an expert level understanding of how the organization architected their infrastructure and also why they did. Time spent as a system or network administrator will be where you gain the bulk of your experience and knowledge help desk engineer of IT, and it will help you advance to more technically challenging roles later on in your career. Expect to spend a good chunk of your career in systems administration, starting as a junior sys admin and working your way to a senior admin before moving on.
Research help desk engineer duties and responsibilities
Knowing this gives the help desk technician a gauge for how critical the end user’s problem is. All our trainers are highly qualified, have 10+ years of real-world experience and will provide you with an engaging learning experience. We run courses in 1200 locations, across 200 countries in one of our hand-picked training venues, providing the all important ‘human touch’ which may be missed in other learning styles. Our fully interactive online training platform is compatible across all devices and can be accessed from anywhere, at any time. All our online courses come with a standard 90 days access that can be extended upon request. Our expert trainers are constantly on hand to help you with any questions which may arise.
They use their technical knowledge of hardware and software to help troubleshoot problems users encounter. Beyond that technical proficiency, they must also have excellent interpersonal skills to interact with customers. Osman says working in a help desk role provides opportunities to network with more advanced technicians and engineers, as well as gain a better understanding of how other teams operate and resolve issues. This additional perspective can be incredibly helpful for narrowing down what would be a wide-open IT career path. Find a mentor that will help you understand the ins and outs of the technology that your organization is utilizing and sit in on any architecture or design meetings that you can.
Help Desk Engineer Jobs By Company
This is where you might start to build out a niche for a specific software or technology, and grow the rest of your career off of it. For me, this was where I learned VMware and it just took off and brought me where I am today. If you find something that does, grab ahold of it and learn all you can. Help desk engineers and desk support technicians both require similar skills like “troubleshoot,” “help-desk support,” and “technical support” to carry out their responsibilities.
- “Being in a help desk [role] is a good way to view what other, more intense positions do within the IT field.” It also gives you a chance to either choose to delve further or make a career move elsewhere, Lewis adds.
- This question assesses your approach to customer service and your ability to solve issues efficiently.
- Since help desk analysts have to remain up to date on industry trends and advancements, it’s important to be able to expand on things you have learned.
- To become more patient, remember that your end users are not as technically skilled as you are.
- The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.
- Over the last 2 years, 45 per cent of employers hired for this position.
- They’re 2.8% less likely to obtain a Master’s Degree while being 0.6% less likely to earn a Doctoral Degree.
- They’re also known for soft skills such as Customer-service skills, Listening skills, and Speaking skills.